From: Aron Griffis <agriffis@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] [buskanaka@yahoo.com: notes on vlc-0.7.1 and related (libpostproc, ffmpeg, mplayer)]
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2004 17:12:58
1 ----- Forwarded message from Joel Martin <buskanaka@×××××.com> -----
2
3 From: Joel Martin <buskanaka@×××××.com>
4 Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2004 08:51:49 -0800 (PST)
5 To: gentoo-dev@g.o
6 Subject: notes on vlc-0.7.1 and related (libpostproc, ffmpeg, mplayer)
7
8 On recommendation from Aron Griffis, I am posting a summary of some vlc
9 related work that I have done since it applies to several bugs.
10
11 I submitted a vlc-0.7.1 ebuild to bug 37639.
12 To support this I also submitted 3 new ebuilds:
13 - libpostproc-20020222, bug 43639
14 - mplayer-1.0_pre3-r1, bug 43640
15 - ffmpeg-0.4.8.20040222, bug 43641
16
17 Here is some rational:
18 - vlc needs a newer version of ffmpeg than currently in the tree so I
19 made a snapshot based ebuild for ffmpeg. The snapshot is the same as
20 the one linked on vlc's page for download to support 0.7.1.
21
22 - libpostproc is currently provided by mplayer, however, vlc shouldn't
23 depend on mplayer and in fact the canonical source for libpostproc is
24 ffmpeg. So I created a seperate libpostproc ebuild (I found precedent
25 in some rpm based distros) from the same snapshot of ffmpeg as above.
26
27 - I created mplayer-1.0_pre3-r1 which no longer installs libpostproc as
28 a side-effect in order to not collide with libpostproc. libpostproc
29 checks to make sure that a "colliding" version of mplayer isn't
30 installed.
31
32 Other possibly related bugs: 42326, 12999, 27051, 35814, 39773.
33
34 Joel Martin (kanaka)
35
36 ----- End forwarded message -----