From: Steve Long <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: EAPI 1 (Was: Re: Monthly Gentoo Council Reminder for April)
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 17:48:27
1 Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o> wrote:
3 >> > > you're proposing we suddenly bloat all of our src_install
4 >> > > functions for no gain at all
5 How big a bloat is it? Surely it's a coupla lines in the eclasses? Cos the
6 behaviour is inconsistent, as Ciaran pointed out.
7
8 >> > Well no, they can't, because there are a whole load of ebuilds that
9 >> > will break if they do that. But if it's introduced as mandatory
10 >> > (barring ebuilds RESTRICTing it) for EAPI 1, the tree will slowly
11 >> > move towards everything that reasonably can do having working test
12 >> > suites, which will be a huge step forward for QA.
13 >>
14 >> that's really the QA's job to enforce, not the package manager
15 >>
16 >> if the QA team wants to spear head a tree wide effort at getting
17 >> src_test up and running, they're certainly free to
18 >
19 > The arch teams have been pushing for this for a long time. They're
20 > trying to get this enforced, but are having limited success because
21 > there's no way for FEATURES=test to become widely used that won't lead
22 > to broken user systems. Moving src_test to be always on in future EAPIs
23 > is an easy way of helping arch teams achieve this goal without breaking
24 > anyone's system in the meantime.
25 >
26 I have to say Mr McCreesh's argument has persuaded me on this aspect too.
30 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list