From: Joshua Kinard <kumba@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Akamai secure memory allocator for OpenSSL?
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2014 01:27:22
1 On 04/13/2014 20:17, Patrick Lauer wrote:
2 > On 04/14/2014 04:42 AM, Joshua Kinard wrote:
3 >>
4 >> So one of the side-discussions happening after Heartbleed was the fact that
5 >> OpenSSL has its own memory allocator code that effectively mitigates any C
6 >> library-provided exploit mitigations (as discussed on the openbsd-misc ML at
7 >> [1] and Ted Unangst's blogs at [2] and [3]).
8 > [snip good explanation]
9 >
10 >> It basically provides a secure memory area protected by guard pages for
11 >> sensitive data, like RSA private keys, so that if another Heartbleed-like
12 >> event occurs, things won't be as bad. Hopefully...
13 >
14 > http://lekkertech.net/akamai.txt
15
16 I was not aware of that write up. Nice find! That effectively rules this
17 patch out.
20 >> Is this something we want to look at adding to our openssl copy via an
21 >> optional USE flag (default off)?
22 >
23 > At this point in time I'd say we better wait for the storm to settle
24 > down - apparently the akamai patches are only fixing a small part of the
25 > problem.
26 >
27 > I don't have a strong opinion as I haven't had to think about the
28 > internals of crypto software in a while, but hastily adding
29 > not-well-reviewed code might not be the best strategy.
30
31 Agreed. Crypto is not my strong suite, but I thought I'd see what others
32 thought on the patch. Someone is either going to step up and really "fix"
33 OpenSSL or the community will eventually nominate a replacement for it (ala
34 XFree86 -> Xorg).
37 Joshua Kinard
38 Gentoo/MIPS
39 kumba@g.o
40 4096R/D25D95E3 2011-03-28
41
42 "The past tempts us, the present confuses us, the future frightens us. And
43 our lives slip away, moment by moment, lost in that vast, terrible in-between."
44
45 --Emperor Turhan, Centauri Republic