From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Identifying inherit-only / usable profiles (round 2)
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 15:44:53
1 On Thu, 2005-03-10 at 14:41 +1300, Jerome Brown wrote:
2 > Is there a need for a seperate column? Would it not be eaiser to parse
3 > the profile name to extract that information. This would then allow you
4 > to search for all profiles that are valid for eg x86 BSD or alpha linux.
5 > Are there any situations where the arch and/or OS are not in the profile
6 > path? From a quick glance the non-default profiles (hardened, uclibc,
7 > embedded etc) do not specify a -linux in the profile which would mean
8 > either dropping the OS query, putting an OS column in or changing the
9 > profiles (which has the advantage of making them more consistant).
10
11 Personally, I would like seeing a profile structure similar to this:
12
13 $type/$os/$arch/$ver/$sub
14
15 Where:
16
17 $type is default, hardened, uclibc, etc
18 $os is linux, macos, bsd, etc
19 $arch is the architecture
20 $ver is the version the profile goes with and would be optional for
21 non-released projects/arches
22 $sub is any sub-profiles
23
24 This would require minor changes to a few profiles and would make things
25 pretty easy to maintain in the future. It also gives a consistent
26 hierarchy that should meet any needs we have.
27
28 The only issue would be the temporary need to keep all of the older
29 profiles around until they were all deprecated and could be removed.
30
31 I would be willing to make these changes post-2005.0, as I don't think
32 anyone would let me live if we did another rebuild... ;]
35 Chris Gianelloni
37 Games - Developer
38 Gentoo Linux