From: "Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto" <jmbsvicetto@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo's plan to remove .la files: wording about when and how to drop .la files
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2010 04:30:49
11 2. Get a consensus about the wording of when it's appropriate and how
12 it's appropriate to remove the .la files
13
14 As agreed in the meeting, as a first draft, we have that "the motion is
15 to drop la files, when appropriate, through the use of a function in
16 eutils that will only be called if the static-libs use flag is not set
17 or unless the package relies on pkg-config".
18 In the meantime there were some concerns raised about some prefix arches
19 and therefore there's a suggestion we use a hidden variable (not to be
20 set by users) to control the removal of the files so that we can "mask"
21 running the function on any profile where we can't drop the .la files.
24 - --
25 Regards,
26
27 Jorge Vicetto (jmbsvicetto) - jmbsvicetto at gentoo dot org
28 Gentoo- forums / Userrel / Devrel / KDE / Elections / RelEng