From: Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
To: Daniel Armyr <daniel.armyr@××××.se>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o, gentoo-core@g.o, gentoo-user@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo donations/drobbins personal income numbers
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2003 19:37:27
1 On Sat, Jun 28, 2003 at 06:27:11PM +0200, Daniel Armyr wrote:
2 > Does Gentoo do accounting? In that case, some financial statements would
3 > put many people at ease, or at least, those of us who can read them.
4
5 Sure. Here is information from Gentoo Technologies, Inc. 941 Employer's
6 Quarterly Federal Tax Return for the first quarter of 2003:
7
8 1. Total wages and tips, plus other compensation $7778.45
9
10 This is my personal gross income (money Gentoo Technologies paid to me) for
11 January, February and March 2003. This money comes from an independent
12 source, not donations. After taxes (net income) I received exactly $6250.00.
13 According to my "bc" math, this is:
14
15 $2083.33 per month
16
17 Or, extended throughout the entire year:
18
19 2083.33*12
20 $25,000 per year
21
22 This quarterly number is actually slightly low due to some money slated to
23 become personal income that I kept in the company and redirected towards
24 LinuxWorld expenses. My annual income tends to be around 35,000 to 40,000
25 per year. I live in the United States; I have a a 3 year-old daughter and
26 another expected in four weeks. I have a wife who is a full-time mom by
27 choice, who is very supportive of what I do but at the same time often
28 wonders if maybe it would be best for us if I would stop doing Gentoo and
29 get a "real" job. I will not go into the debt that I (personally, not
30 Gentoo) have accumulated due to my career choice. If someone wants to know,
31 just ask, and I will share this personal information as well. I've probably
32 already shared too much, and I'm not trying to evoke pity or be overly
33 melodramatic, just clear my name.
34
35 The total income Gentoo received from donations, our advertisements on the
36 site, and CafePress.com for the first quarter of 2003 amounted to a generous
37 $4849.78, or an average of $1616.59 per month. This money was used for
38 LWE-related expenses, hardware, and to assist an unnamed developer who was
39 having trouble paying basic living expenses (not me.) This money *does* make
40 a difference, *is* being used legitimately, and is also *greatly*
41 appreciated.
42
43 Sincerely,
46 Daniel Robbins