From: Joonas Niilola <juippis@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Deprecating repoman
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2022 07:09:47
1 On 9.3.2022 23.00, Matt Turner wrote:
2 > I'd like to deprecate and ultimately remove repoman. I believe that
3 > dev-util/pkgcheck and pkgcommit (from app-portage/mgorny-dev-scripts)
4 > are far superior replacements, and it makes sense to have people using
5 > the same tool and seeing the same warnings as in the CI.
6 >
7 > Are there any useful checks or behaviors of repoman that are missing
8 > from pkgcheck and pkgcommit?
9 >
10 > Thanks,
11 > Matt
14 I still fail to see the "why" in here. Repoman is better than pure 'git
15 commit' that I know some people still like to use, and as long as it's
16 kept maintained.
17 We should be teaching people about the alternatives, and let them choose
18 whatever they like more.
19 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Package_maintainer%27s_responsibilities#Ebuilds_and_git_workflow
20
21 Repoman is a very lightweight tool. All that being said, I can't think
22 of a single feature that pkgdev+pkgcheck don't cover when switching from
23 repoman.
24
25 The quick global CI checks after each commit saves us from a lot of
26 trouble. If you do bad commits, you get immediately noticed about it and
27 you can fix it rather quickly usually. When you "get hit", you also
28 learn about pkgcheck and we've seen that this is the point when people
29 usually integrate it to their workflows. I'd also like to point out
30 whenever doing more complicated pushs, one can trigger the automatic CI
31 check in our Github mirror via a pull request before pushing.
32
33 My only worry is: are pkgcheck and pkgdev _really_ maintained anymore?
34 More than repoman is?
35
36 -- juippis

OpenPGP_signature.asc application/pgp-signature