From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: Ben de Groot <yngwin@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] ffmpeg vs libav choice of default
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2015 09:55:49
1 Dnia 2015-02-04, o godz. 17:24:03
2 Ben de Groot <yngwin@g.o> napisał(a):
3
4 > On 4 February 2015 at 17:21, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
5 > > Dnia 2015-02-04, o godz. 10:12:12
6 > > Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> napisał(a):
7 > >
8 > >> With the recent introduction of the libav USE flag, the Gentoo default
9 > >> for ffmpeg vs libav is more pronounced than it was before (with libav
10 > >> being listed first in || ( ) dependencies).
11 > >>
12 > >> In the replies to http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?p=7694982
13 > >> several users have expressed their preference for ffmpeg.
14 > >>
15 > >> So can someone please remind me what are the technical reasons why we
16 > >> prefer libav over ffmpeg?
17 >
18 > From an upstream that I care about:
19 > https://github.com/mpv-player/mpv/wiki/FFmpeg-versus-Libav
20 >
21 > Based on that I would say we should switch back the default to ffmpeg.
22
23 From what I heard, that upstream likes to change its opinion
24 frequently, pretty much based on which upstream he is pissed at
25 the moment. But it's just rumors.
28 Best regards,
29 Michał Górny