From: Dan Armak <danarmak@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Round 2: GLEP 19 -- Gentoo Stable Portage Tree
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2004 15:48:11
1 On Tuesday 03 February 2004 16:55, Kurt Lieber wrote:
2 > 1) Tarballs for main tree, rsync for security/bugfixes.
3 >
4 > Several folks have indicated that they feel quarterly updates are too
5 > frequent. I personally feel that semi-annual or annual updates are too
6 > infrequent and put us at risk of contracting Debian Stable-itis.
7 >
8 > One alternative I thought of (inspired by a suggestion from Spider) was to
9 > create and distribute each quarterly release as a tbz2 and then have a
10 > single rsync tree that only contains security updates and bugfixes. These
11 > off-cycle changes would, as Spider suggested, be made available via an
12 > overlay to avoid corrupting the original tree.
13 >
14 > The main disadvantages I can see with this are:
15 >
16 > * Requires portage support to work. (or users will have to do a lot
17 > of manual syncing) The original GLEP requires no changes to portage.
18 > * Could cause problems if some of the security updates have newer deps that
19 > are otherwise not included in the stable tree.
20 I don't understand this comment. The developers would still work against a cvs
21 tree that contains all the latest stable stuff (base + changes) so why would
22 there be a problem with deps that wasn't in the orig GLEP?
25 Dan Armak
26 Gentoo Linux developer (KDE)
27 Matan, Israel
28 Public GPG key: http://dev.gentoo.org/~danarmak/danarmak-gpg-public.key
29 Fingerprint: DD70 DBF9 E3D4 6CB9 2FDD 0069 508D 9143 8D5F 8951