From: Ben de Groot <yngwin@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] gentoo-x86 tree cleanup for 'DESCRIPTION ends with a '.' character' warnings
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2014 14:10:42
1 On 13 August 2014 02:46, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
2 > Dnia 2014-08-11, o godz. 20:48:20
3 > William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> napisał(a):
4 >> > got a minor (but chatty) QA warning:
5 >> > DESCRIPTION ends with a '.' character
6 >>
7 >> Why is this a QA warning in the first place?
8 >
9 > Because it is a common mistake, and having the warning in-place should
10 > help people avoid repeating it.
11
12 This is correct.
13
14 >> I don't recall a policy mandating that descriptions can't end with '.'. I
15 >> asked our QA lead about it and was told that he didn't recall that we
16 >> have an official policy about it either. Also, the devmanual never
17 >> mentions any such requirement.
18 >
19 > I don't know if and where it is documented but that's what I was taught
20 > when I started contributing to Gentoo, and it pretty much follows
21 > the common sense. DESCRIPTION is supposed to be short and descriptive.
22 > So you do an elliptical sentence (if I got the right translation),
23 > and that doesn't end with a dot.
24
25 Again, this is what I was taught as well. It may have been an
26 undocumented rule, but it has been around for as long as I can
27 remember. It also makes linguistic sense, and as an English teacher it
28 always irks me when I see this mistake.
29
30 > If you have any fair reason to not follow this, please speak of it.
31 > Otherwise, this is pure bikeshed and waste of time. This thread already
32 > took much more time than fixing your packages if repoman complained
33 > about them.
34
35 Amen!
36
37 >> If someone can point me to something I'm missing, let me know.
38 >> Otherwise, I think the warning should be removed.
39 >
40 > Even if there were no written-down policy, why would it be removed?
41 > What is the benefit of removing the check that resulted in many fixes
42 > already? Do you want to revert the removals afterwards? Or do you want
43 > to introduce new packages which use '.' there?
44
45 I completely support this argument. The warning is correct and should
46 remain in place.
49 Cheers,
50
51 Ben | yngwin