From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] EAPI 6 portage is out!
Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2015 21:00:54
1 On Sat, Nov 21, 2015 at 1:51 PM, Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Wed, 18 Nov 2015 07:01:21 -0500 Rich Freeman wrote:
4 >> On Wed, Nov 18, 2015 at 6:12 AM, Alexander Berntsen <bernalex@g.o> wrote:
5 >> > When I do QA in projects I'm involved with (at least outside of
6 >> > Gentoo), we don't do it live on end-user systems. I'll leave the
7 >> > details as an exercise for the Gentoo developer.
8 >> >
9 >>
10 >> People who run ~arch are not really end-users - they're contributors
11 >> who have volunteered to test packages.
12 >
13 > I strongly disagree with you. We do not use stable even at
14 > enterprise grade production systems and HPC setups. Stable is just
15 > too freaking old in order to be usable for our purposes, not to
16 > mention that it lacks many packages at all. We tried stable
17 > several times, it just freaks out admins (including myself) too
18 > badly or results in horrible mess of stable and unstable which is
19 > less stable that unstable setups. I do not use stable at
20 > workstations and personal setups as well.
21
22 Interesting. I've had the opposite experience, and don't run ~arch
23 except for testing purposes. I don't hesitate to keyword packages
24 when necessary, and file bugs for their stabilization if appropriate.
25
26 Also, if you're doing something like HPC then you're probably focused
27 on a specific application, with your own QA system, so Gentoo's QA
28 doesn't really impact you much anyway as your own regression test is
29 going to catch issues. I'm not nearly that formal but I've
30 containerized almost all my services because I don't like relying on
31 Gentoo's QA. If I update my mariadb container I just make sure that
32 mariadb is working, and revert it if not. If it happens to contain a
33 broken ssh client it doesn't concern me at all, since I don't use that
34 container for ssh. Of course, the downside of this is that I end up
35 updating a lot of hosts, all for personal use.
36
37 > Of course I understand that there are people
38 > using it and I try to support stable packages as well, but these
39 > versions are mostly a burden and I can't really understand stable
40 > users.
41
42 Well, to be fair it seems like most Gentoo developers consider half
43 the tree a burden (that would be the "other" half). We all have our
44 itches that we're trying to scratch. As long as everybody follows the
45 policies the results end up working out reasonably well for everybody.
46 Some of us barely test ~arch at all, and others barely test stable at
47 all, and it seems that for the most part things work out.
48
49 In any case, the purpose of ~arch is testing, and is not intended to
50 be a stable experience, even if it often ends up being that way (which
51 is certainly nothing to complain about). If we added another layer of
52 testing above ~arch, all we'd see happen is that everybody who runs
53 ~arch today would just switch to that, since it would essentially be
54 the same thing, and ~arch wouldn't really serve any purpose at all.
55 If the purpose of ~arch isn't testing, then why have it at all?
56
57 But, like I said, if somebody wants to volunteer to do a barrage of QA
58 tests on portage, by all means do so. It will only make life better
59 for everybody. I just don't see any reason to bar the portage authors
60 from introducing a version if they consider it suitable for testing.
63 Rich