From: James Le Cuirot <chewi@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] SRC_URI="gogdownloader://..."
Date: Mon, 03 Oct 2016 20:29:13
1 On Sun, 2 Oct 2016 22:06:19 -0400
2 Ian Stakenvicius <axs@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On 02/10/16 04:59 PM, James Le Cuirot wrote:
5 > > On Sun, 2 Oct 2016 21:48:04 +0100
6 > > James Le Cuirot <chewi@g.o> wrote:
7 > >
8 > >> SRC_URI="gogdownloader://tomb_raider_1/en1installer1 ->
9 > >> setup_tomb_raider_${PV}.exe" IUSE="gogdownloader"
10 > >> RESTRICT="!gogdownloader? ( fetch ) mirror"
11 > >> DEPEND="games-util/lgogdownloader"
12 > >
13 > > Probably goes without saying but that should have been:
14 > > DEPEND="gogdownloader? ( games-util/lgogdownloader )"
17 > So I think the idea of supporting this is great, but I think the best
18 > way to go about it is to support it in the same manner that the VCS
19 > eclasses do -- that is, DONT use SRC_URI but instead use GOG_URI , and
20 > have the gog eclass within src_unpack handle the actual fetching.
21 >
22 > If in a future EAPI we get src_fetch() and the ability to specify
23 > custom fetching, then this can be improved, but for now I'd say do it
24 > the same as the VCS eclasses do.
25
26 src_fetch would be nice for VCS but I think it's overkill here as what
27 we have already works fine. If Portage were as flexible with its
28 configuration as Paludis, there would be no issue, save for doing away
29 with the static list of protocols in the PMS.
30
31 The simplest solution I can see would be to make make.globals a
32 directory and then packages like lgogdownloader could just drop files
33 in there. This could have other uses too. Can't think of any right now
34 though. ;)
35
36 Instead of dictating the list of supported protocols, PMS could then
37 say something to the effect of:
38
39 "As well as supporting the http://, https://, ftp:// protocols out of
40 the box, the package manager must be sufficiently configurable to allow
41 packages to extend this list by installing additional files."
42
43 Different files would need to be installed to support both Portage
44 (plus pkgcore) and Paludis but I could live with that. Otherwise
45 Portage would probably need to implement fetchers the same way that
46 Paludis does. The end result would be nice but could we seamlessly
47 migrate existing user configuration? How many users actually change
48 FETCHCOMMAND?
49
50 http://paludis.exherbo.org/configuration/fetchers.html
51
52 I understand that a new EAPI would still be required as there is
53 otherwise no guarantee that the user will have a version of Portage
54 with this fix, short of depending on sys-apps/portage, which is bad! In
55 the meantime, I'll have to make do with src_unpack. I'll also file a
56 bug so we can further discuss which avenue to take.
59 James Le Cuirot (chewi)
60 Gentoo Linux Developer