From: Martin Vaeth <vaeth@××××××××××××××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Improve the security of the default profile
Date: Sun, 08 Sep 2013 11:25:26
1 Ryan Hill <dirtyepic@g.o> wrote:
2 > Martin Vaeth <vaeth@××××××××××××××××××××××××.de> wrote:
3 >> >
4 >> > * -fstack-protector{-all}
5 >> > No thank you. -fstack-protector has very limited coverage
6 >>
7 >> I'd say it covers most cases where bugs can be made, [...]
8 >
9 > The numbers I've seen show a maximum of 5% coverage for code that has a
10 > large number of functions containing char arrays on the stack.
11
12 If you have no local array on the stack, it is rather hard to write
13 accidentally(!) code in the function which corrupts the stack.
14 (It still is possible e.g. through bad casting, but it is rather
15 unlikely that this happens by accident).
16 So coverage of these functions covers most cases of accidental bugs.
17 Of course, as Ciaranm already mentioned, there is no compiler flag
18 which transforms unsafe code into safe one, but if even just one or
19 two security bugs can be avoid this way, it was worth to add
20 this flag IMHO.
21
22 > Most code doesn't fall into that category.
23
24 Isn't this good news? It means most code will not get *any*
25 penalty with -fstack-protector.