From: Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Revisiting GLEP 81 (acct-*) policies (reviews, cross-distro syncing)
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2019 14:50:28
1 On 12/9/19 3:17 AM, Michał Górny wrote:
2 >
3 > 2. Mailing list reviews don't serve their original purpose.
4 >
5 > The original purpose of mailing list reviews was to verify that
6 > the developers use new packages correctly. For example, Michael
7 > Orlitzky has found a lot of unnecessary home directories specified.
8 > Of course, that works only if people submit *ebuilds* for review.
9 >
10 > However, at some points developers arbitrarily decided to send only
11 > numbers for review. This defeats the purpose of the review in the first
12 > place.
15 For users like "git" and "ntp" that are shared by multiple packages, I
16 think the mailing list review is still helpful. We fixed big problems
17 with those two that only came to light during review. If somebody else
18 requests a UID for "your" user, that gives you a chance to review their
19 acct-user ebuild and make sure that it's compatible with your package.
20
21 For esoteric packages with a dedicated user, though, you're probably
22 right. The main benefit of the mailing list posts so far is that they
23 let me track down pull requests and suggest that people ignore the
24 example in the devmanual.
25
26 If we can remove
27
28 ACCT_USER_SHELL=/usr/bin/foo
29 ACCT_USER_HOME=/var/lib/foo
30 ACCT_USER_HOME_OWNER=foo:bar
31 ACCT_USER_HOME_PERMS=0775
32
33 from [1], that would really help people guess the right thing to do the
34 first time around.
37 [1] https://devmanual.gentoo.org/ebuild-writing/users-and-groups/index.html