From: Matt Turner <mattst88@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: udev-ng? (Was: Summary Council meeting Tuesday 13 November 2012)
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2012 08:51:58
1 On Sun, Nov 18, 2012 at 12:06 AM, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
2 > Richard Yao posted on Sun, 18 Nov 2012 00:35:22 -0500 as excerpted:
3 >
4 >>>> Having a builtin is a good idea, but the implementation as a mandatory
5 >>>> dependency on kmod is not. The plan is to reintroduce it as an
6 >>>> optional dependency, so that distributions (and Gentoo users) that do
7 >>>> not want it can avoid it. None of us want to force dependencies on
8 >>>> others and there is no need for this one.
9 >>>
10 >>> You do realize that you didn't really drop the dependency at all,
11 >>> right?
12 >>
13 >> kmod does not exist on my system and eudev builds without a problem. I
14 >> am thinking of writing my own busybox-style code to handle module
16 >> with kmod. Does this not avoid the dependency?
17 >
18 > FWIW...
19 >
20 > I run a monolithic kernel here, no modules /to/ load. As a result, for
21 > quite some time I had module-init-tools in package.provided, because I
22 > really didn't need it at all.
23 >
24 > Then udev switched to kmod as a build-time dep. I could no longer
25 > package.provide kmod as I had module-init-tools, because it was required
26 > to /build/ udev. For no valid reason on my system. Like any unnecessary
27 > feature that can be used to load an exploit, it's worse than useless.
28 > But it was required to build, just because someone decided people had no
29 > valid reason to run a monolithic kernel system any longer, and that
30 > people who did so apparently no longer mattered, udev-wise.
31 >
32 > That's only one such decision of a whole list following a similar
33 > pattern, simply deciding that some segment of the Linux-using populace or
34 > another no longer matters, because it's not the segment that the udev
35 > folks are focused on. In many cases, they've already said they're not
36 > interested in patches resolving the issues, too. Thus, no, submitting
37 > the patches for inclusion upstream isn't working. Seems reason enough
38 > for a fork, to me.
39 >
40 > Back on subtopic, yes, I'm definitely interested in a udev fork that
41 > doesn't force the otherwise useless on my systems kmod as a build-time
42 > dep. package.provided worked for years as a workaround for the module-
43 > init-tools @system dep. And I'd like to get back to not having to have a
44 > module-loader package installed at all, since I don't have any modules to
45 > load anyway.
46
47 # du -sh /var/tmp/portage/sys-apps/kmod-11-r1/image/
48 240K /var/tmp/portage/sys-apps/kmod-11-r1/image/