From: Kent Fredric <kentfredric@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Portage Git migration - clean cut or git-cvsserver
Date: Thu, 24 May 2012 13:39:08
1 On 25 May 2012 00:05, Dirkjan Ochtman <djc@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 1:43 PM, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
3 >> In that regard, git is nothing like for instance svn, where branches come
4 >> at a much higher cost, as does merging between them.
5 >
6 > That's wrong. SVN branches are just about as cheap as git branches,
7 > although merges used to be much more painful. I'm not sure how good
8 > merging in recent SVN is.
9
10 Cheapness ... maybe in binary disk utilization ( need an actual
11 comparison here I think ), but in cognitive overheads, I'd argue git's
12 branching system is definitely cheaper. Going from Git back to SVN,
13 the mentality of "copy a directory and you have a new branch!!!" seems
14 a bit crazy.
15
16 And switching between branches in-place at a fixed disk location is
17 definitely cheaper ( mentally at least ) than SVN.
18
19 I hope I never have to use svn switch again :/
20 --
21 Kent
22
23 perl -e  "print substr( \"edrgmaM  SPA NOcomil.ic\\@tfrken\", \$_ * 3,