From: Kent Fredric <kentfredric@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFD: EAPI specification in ebuilds
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2012 07:40:07
1 On 12 March 2012 20:08, Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o> wrote:
2 > On 03/11/2012 11:50 PM, Kent Fredric wrote:
3 >> #!/usr/bin/env eapi-xml-5
4 >>
5 >> would send the current file ( foo.ebuild ) to the process "eapi-xml-5"
6 >> ( as defined by the current $PATH setting )
7 >
8 > All we need is a way for the package manager to probe the EAPI. Spawning
9 > a process to do that is just overkill.
10
11 Yeah, but if you read the rest of my message, you'll see my argument
12 that hinges around the fact most proposals so far tend to focus around
13 the fact the current format for ebuild is bash, and bash only, and I
14 think it very hard to implement a language agnostic way to specify the
15 EAPI in a way that will work on languages where you
16
17 a) Can't use # to mark comments
18 b) May not even be working with the file directly, and perhaps
19 generating a .json file from a data-structure being serialised, and
20 the key named "EAPI" may be unpredictably placed near the end of the
21 .json file.
22
23 Case b is entirely plausible, and even realistic, because
24 non-script-based data-structures often don't bear importance on the
25 order of elements.
29 Kent
30
31 perl -e  "print substr( \"edrgmaM  SPA NOcomil.ic\\@tfrken\", \$_ * 3,