From: Max Kalika <max+lists.gentoo-dev@×××××××××.edu>
To: Donny Davies <woodchip@g.o>, gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] proposal: webapp.eclass (long)
Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2003 04:40:35
1 Quoting Donny Davies <woodchip@g.o>:
2
3 > To add one little thing to this eclass proposal -- could you maybe
4 > just check the other proposals that were submitted, on this
5 > mailing list and pick out any items that should also maybe be
6 > in here?
7
8 The only other thing I saw after a very brief check was a get_docroot()
9 function from a now-removed apache.eclass. With this new eclass it
10 shouldn't be needed anymore, but it is certainly welcome.
11
12 > I've also asked previously for ideas about any other additional
13 > functions that the eclass should provide. Since the cat is
14 > totally out of the bag now, it might as well try to incorporate
15 > all the best suggestions from all of the different contributers
16 > so that nobody feels *totally* slighted on this issue, although
17 > it may be a little late for that but life goes on.
18
19 I'm more than willing to add any functionality that people need. My main
20 reason for presenting this now is that I desperately need this for my work
21 as I want to have a very clean way of installing a lot of various web apps
22 on a new-and-soon-to-be-deployed web server. But I can also drag the cat
23 back into the bag and keep all this local. I have a nice treat to lure him
24 back in... promise! :-)
25
26 I took Dylan Carlson's request and implemented an apache-webapp.eclass file
27 and accompanying man page. Please see:
28
29 <http://68.6.36.243:81/chora/cvs.php/portage/eclass>
30
31 I'll be creating new webapp ebuilds which use this eclass and throwing them
32 on there for perusal. Please understand that I need to do this anyway for
33 work, but if anyone finds these userful, maybe they could be integrated.
34 And just to throw another match on the fire -- would it make sense to
35 create a new 'net-webapp' category and moving things like horde*, and phpbb
36 in there? Other things I'll be creating ebuilds for are: webalizer,
37 php(post?)nuke, mnogosearch, horde-ingo, horde-passwd, horde-gollem, etc.
38
39 Please be gentle. :-)
40
41 ---max kalika