From: "Brian D. Harring" <ferringb@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] splitting build deps out from depends
Date: Fri, 01 Jul 2005 18:50:05
1 > > > Full dependency information hasn't be viable due to resolver issues,
2 > > > which will be fixed.
3 > >
4 > > so why dont you come back once you have something that is supposed to work ?
5 > > you're proposing we start generating a ton of circular dependencies which we
6 > > arent even close to handling now
7 >
8 > Floating the idea. BDEPEND implementation (if people thought it was a
9 > good idea) would go alongside use/slot dep implementation.
10 >
11 > The short version is BDEPEND is fairly heavily related to domain work
12 > for collapsing config/ROOT into a single groupping portage can work
13 > with.
14 >
15 > No BDEPEND means that things are nastier for dealing with x-compile
16 > from portage's standpoint, so a general yay/nay on the concept is
17 > needed (hence it being raised now).
18 Addendum to this; no cycles are induced, cause portage (current
19 versions) don't know about BDEPEND, and won't know about bdepend until
20 a resolver is in place that can handle it.
21
22 So... forget about pissing off current portage, this is looking
23 forward a bit.
24 ~harring