From: Andreas Voegele <voegelas@×××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: xinetd configuration
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2001 01:25:42
1 Jerry Alexandratos writes:
2
3 > : On Mandrake systems the package management system can add and
4 > : remove services from the xinetd configuration without problems
5 > : since the file /etc/xinetd.conf includes all files that were put
6 > : into the directory /etc/xinetd.d by the installed packages.
7 > :
8 > : I'm wondering why Gentoo does not use such a scheme. [...]
9
10 > It may be easier to just have a xinetd.conf with the only entry
11 > being "includedir /etc/xinetd.d". Then you create a singular .conf
12 > file for each service. Each portage that needs a xinetd entry
13 > simply installs its conf file into /etc/xinetd.d. This is how
14 > pam/pam.d is currently setup.
15
16 That's what I meant. Mandrake puts the default values and the
17 includedir statement into /etc/xinetd.conf. Everything else goes into
18 the directory /etc/xinetd.d.
19
20 But in contrast to Mandrake it might be good to restrict the access to
21 the localhost for security reasons, eg by using "only_from=localhost"
22 as a default value or by putting a corresponding rule into
23 /etc/hosts.deny.
26 Andreas