From: Morgan Christiansson <sft3905@××××××××××××.se>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Policy with dependencies
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2001 11:28:47
1 You could add dependencies only if use gtk is set, and/or only install
2 if use gtk is set.
3
4 Anyway this shouldn't be up to the developer, but there should be a
5 policy for this.
6
7 Karl Trygve Kalleberg wrote:
8
9 >I'm working on packaging a system tool called subterfugue [sic]. It can be
10 >thought of as a very jazzed up version of strace.
11 >
12 >It is written Python. Some of its operating modes, such as NetThrottle
13 >(sets a limit on the bandwidth a particular process may eat) requires
14 >pygtk, but most (if not all) the other scripts for subterfugue do not.
15 >
16 >For sf to depend on pygtk, it will depend on gnome, x11 and a slew of
17 >other packages, even though 95% of sf itself is ideally suited for an
18 >X-free (no X) box.
19 >
20 >Merging in pygtk later on makes it work perfectly.
21 >
22 >Should I just make a not in post_install() about this, and don't bother
23 >with the pygtk dependency ?
26 >Kind regards,
27 >
28 >Karl T