From: "Andreas K. Huettel" <dilfridge@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: Re: [gentoo-dev] Making a common sub-profile for no-multilib
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2014 20:02:49
1 Am Mittwoch 25 Juni 2014, 15:11:40 schrieb Rich Freeman:
2 > On Wed, Jun 25, 2014 at 2:44 PM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
3 > > Long story short, doing anything to Gentoo profiles is utter pain
4 > > and comes with random breakage guarantee. Therefore, I'm asking -- nuke
5 > > those damn profiles, and start over! The current situation is
6 > > completely unmaintainable.
7 >
8 > ++
9 >
10 > But, would it make sense to just go the Funtoo route with "mix-ins."
11 > Basically instead of symlinking make.profile to a profile directory
12 > they turn make.profile into an actual profile which just has a parent
13 > that inherits all the real profiles, and eselect is designed to handle
14 > it.
15 >
16 > That would get rid of the 47 permutations in our current tree. It
17 > would also reduce the barrier to adding more options, since it means
18 > adding one subdir that only affects those who use/maintain it, and not
19 > 23 combinations that drive everybody mad.
20
21 ++
22
23 this is what we've been just discussing on the irc channel
26 Andreas K. Huettel
27 Gentoo Linux developer
28 kde, council