From: Mart Raudsepp <leio@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] autotools.eclass and EAPI 7
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2018 13:41:28
1 Ühel kenal päeval, R, 17.08.2018 kell 15:15, kirjutas Alexis Ballier:
2 > On Thu, 16 Aug 2018 21:36:56 +0300
3 > Mart Raudsepp <leio@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 > > Ühel kenal päeval, N, 16.08.2018 kell 14:27, kirjutas Brian Evans:
6 > > > There are currently a handful of ebuilds using EAPI 7 and the
7 > > > autotools
8 > > > eclass.
9 > > >
10 > > > I believe that this eclass should be reviewed for adding BDEPEND
11 > > > or
12 > > > having BDEPEND replace the DEPEND statement as the default action
13 > > > of
14 > > > the
15 > > > eclass.
16 > > >
17 > > > Other items might be needed, but that's doubtful.
18 > > >
19 > > > Someone please advise the best course of action and either do it
20 > > > or
21 > > > I will propose a patch based on the discussion.
22 > > >
23 > >
24 > > Could or did someone also check through all the other eclasses that
25 > > don't have any global EAPI compatibility checks?
26 > > For the future, maybe it's better to add such a check - just
27 > > accepting
28 > > 0-7 or so, but unsure about all these custom EAPIs out there, might
29 > > force more eclass copying to some overlays.
30 >
31 > I don't really like that kind of checks: untested after usually small
32 > changes != broken.
33 >
34 > IMHO a better solution could be to have council members review all
35 > eclasses prior to approving an eapi and either adding a comment why +
36 > a
37 > die when used with the not-yet-approved-eapi if the eclass requires
38 > changes or do nothing about it if it's fine. This has the double
39 > advantage to give council members first hands experience with an eapi
40 > before approving/voting it and ensures better migration when eapi is
41 > approved.
42
43 I think that's a good idea, in some form, but that ship has sailed with
44 EAPI-7 now and the request remains. I'll try to remember this for a
45 future EAPI-8 in the future.
46 I'd be glad to review things now, if I had time, but frankly I have
47 much more important things on my plate right now (like getting other
48 things to the point I can review and merge EAPI-7 support to some of
49 the eclasses I maintain and unblock progress for more usage of it).
52 Mart