From: Martin Vaeth <vaeth@××××××××××××××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: How to support C++11 in libraries?
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2013 17:36:01
1 Jan Kundrát <jkt@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Friday, 20 December 2013 10:00:43 CEST, Martin Vaeth wrote:
3 >> The example with string reference-counters which you gave is IMHO
4 >> typical;
5 >
6 > You have not considered the implications of the updated requirements
7
8 It seems you are changing the topic: We were talking about
9 downward-compatibility of source code. There is no doubt that
10 the C++11 requirements need a new ABI:
11
12 > without breaking the ABI [...]
13
14 > but I do not expect that the end result will allow linking a translation
15 > unit built for C++98 by GCC <= 4.8 with one built for C++11 by the new
16 > compiler.
17
18 That's why it might be a good idea to translate with C++11 by default.
19 No old units <-> no problem ;)
20 Again: It is clear that this route is possible only if the number
21 of packages breaking with such a default is small, and fixes are simple.
22 Which needs to be examined by "experiment" and not by theoretical
23 considerations.