From: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Build dependencies and upgrades.
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2011 04:48:51
1 On 10/11/2011 02:04 PM, Mike Gilbert wrote:
2 > On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 2:50 PM, Francisco Blas Izquierdo Riera
3 > (klondike) <klondike@g.o> wrote:
4 >> So, is there any reason for this behaviour? Shouldn't build dependencies
5 >> either be cleaned with --depclean after building or be upgraded to avoid
6 >> possible issues?
9 > I agree: with-bdeps should either default to y or n across the board.
10 >
11 > I understand the idea behind turning it on for depclean to reduce the
12 > amount uninstalls/re-installs, but I think that really just introduces
13 > more confusion than the time savings is worth.
14
15 Changing defaults is also confusing. Changing defaults to values that
16 are the opposite of what most people want is even more confusing.
17
18 I think the existing defaults are fine. If people are confused by them,
19 then I think they just need some documentation to clarify the reasons
20 for the existing defaults.
21 --
22 Thanks,
23 Zac