From: Per Wigren <wigren@××××.se>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] adapting webmin and usermin
Date: Thu, 06 Jun 2002 12:09:17
1 > Hi,
2
3 Hi! ;)
4
5 > 1) I am currently using the directory /opt/webmin as an installation
6 > dir. I appreciate that Gentoo wants to keep /opt for binaries only, and
7 > that webmin does not technically qualify as a binary distribution, but I
8 > think it comes damn close. Does anyone agree/disagree with this view,
9 > and if you disagree, where should webmin go?
10
11 I think it should be installed in /usr/{bin,sbin,lib/webmin,share/webmin} as
12 most (all?) other packages with source do..
13
14 > 2) SSL. Perl doesn't pay any attention to the ssl use flag as far as I
15 > am aware, so my strategy has been to have Perl grab the SSL module from
16 > CPAN if the use var is set, and then configure webmin with support for
17 > same. Again, comments? Suggestions?
18
19 Create a separate ebuild for dev-perl/ssl if it doesn't exist already, and
20 make webmin depend on it if ssl is in USE.. eg:
21 DEPEND="ssl? ( dev-perl/ssl )"
22
23 > 3) What distribution should be chosen as a close approximation of
24 > Gentoo. I choose Redhat 7.2 as my first guess, and then later upgraded
25 > to .3 and I haven't noticed anything obviously broken, but extensive
26 > testing would be required before I'd let this anywhere near portage.
27 > Suggestions? Volunteers for testing? :)
28
29 I'm not sure, but I'd guess Debian or FreeBSD are the ones that come closest..
30
31 > 4) I presumed that Webmin should not automatically be started on boot,
32 > that stuff should be handled by the user and whatever their preference
33 > of inetd or xinetd is, is this the correct approach?
34
35 Just create a /etc/init.d/webmin start/stop-script.. Then the user just have
36 to run "rc-update add webmin default" to make it start at boot, just like
37 with all other "daemon"-packages...
38 You can (and should) also add a /etc/xinetd.d/webmin that contains the line
39 "disable = yes"...
40
41 > 5) License. Webmin uses a strange one, but not one that is restrictive.
42 > I presume it is OK just to add an entry in Gentoo's Lisencing dir
43 > specifically for Webmin and its kin.
44
45 Yes.
46
47 > Any suggestions welcome, I'll post further when I have some more
48 > tangible results to show.
49
50 Please ask if you have any questions or need any help!
51
52 // Wigren