From: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Moving CPU flags into USE_EXPAND
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2015 19:01:24
1 On 01/14/2015 09:55 AM, Christopher Head wrote:
2 > On January 14, 2015 7:16:46 AM PST, Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o> wrote:
3 >> however, i disagree with your rationale: asm for specific cpu
4 >> extensions tend to be written and tested after given cpu is available,
5 >> thus if you have a brand new cpu, you want to be notified if a package
6 >> gains support for this new instruction set
7 >
8 > Do people really want to be notified if a package gains support for a new instruction set? I know I don’t.
9
10 Don't worry. You'll only be "notified" in the sense that you can see the
11 new flags highlighted in the emerge --verbose output.
12
13 > I would rather have all possible instruction set extensions available as flags and set whichever ones my CPU has once, at install time. If a package gains support for an extension later, then whenever it upgrades, it will just work, because the relevant flag will already be set in make.conf from back when I installed Gentoo on the box.
14
15 Yes, that's how it will work. You just set your flags, or the profile
16 does it for you, and you're done.
17
18 > For this to work right requires that a dev add all the extensions to the flag before I buy the CPU. All that requires is knowing the names, though; it would be fine if no package actually uses the feature yet.
19
20 Why should we have to foresee the future? We can easily add support for
21 new flags in CPU_FLAGS_* variables at any time.
22 --
23 Thanks,
24 Zac