From: Matthias Maier <tamiko@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] terminal spreadsheet - sc fork
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2014 12:01:47
1 Am 03. Nov 2014, 00:24 schrieb Andrés Martinelli <andmarti@×××××.com>:
2
3 > I am working on a terminal spreadsheet based on "sc", but with some
4 > adds like undo/redo..
5 > you can find it here:
6 >
7 > https://github.com/andmarti1424/scim
8 >
9 > Any new ideas and/or contribution is always welcome!
10
11 Just out of curiosity.
12
13 The original sc program is public domain [1].
14
15 You have chosen to relicense your fork of the codebase under a custom
16 license that you labeled "SCIM license".
17
18 A quick peek at the license [2] reveals quite a cumbersome number of
19 issues (forced contact, contact possibility, redistribution in form of
20 tarballs and patches). Such a license usually prevents any meaningful
21 number of external contributions and packaging. Not to mention that
22 layman's licenses are almost always fundamentally flawed.
23
24 Why not using an FSF-approved, OSI-approved, and/or DFSG compatible
25 license instead? I'm sure that there is something available that fits
26 your taste. (You can e.g. license under "GPL 2 or later" and ask for a
27 special (non binding) courtesy to inform you of changes/patches.)
28
29 Best,
30 Matthias
31