From: Dirkjan Ochtman <djc@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Python 3.1: Stabilization and news item
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 2010 09:10:38
1 On Fri, Mar 5, 2010 at 09:25, Joshua Saddler <nightmorph@g.o> wrote:
2 > So . . . why the heck are you stabilizing it?
3
4 Because 'stable' denotes that it works as intended, that it can be
5 installed easily, etc. All of these are true now for python3. There
6 are applications being written for it. We want to package those too.
7 I'm fine with people masking it, and maybe we should make that easier
8 somehow, but 3.x should definitely be stable.
9
10 > We're completely dependent on the hundreds of upstream Python-coded projects to switch on their timetable. Forcing a useless Python version to be the default in Gento doesn't force *them* to write 3.x-compatible code.
11
12 It will *NOT* under this proposal be the default. Please formulate
13 more carefully if you want to make an argument.
14
15 Cheers,
16
17 Dirkjan