From: Grant Goodyear <g2boojum@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Discussion: alternative compatible utilities
Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2005 03:32:06
1 Aron Griffis wrote: [Thu Jun 16 2005, 09:32:26PM CDT]
2 > I don't think that switching to g-prefixed commands for GNU utilities
3 > is a good answer. We aren't going to be able to push that upstream,
4 > which means maintaining a lot of patches ourselves. Within our own
5 > developer body, we're going to have an impossible task keeping things
6 > compatible since few people have the knowledge required to write
7 > truly cross-platform scripts.
8
9 The current situation is that portage sets aliases for tar, make, sed,
10 etcetera that point to the appropriate g* commands on the *BSD systems.
11 I have to admit that I'm actually quite content with that system, since
12 it's not at all intrusive to the Linux folks, and it's minimally
13 intrusive for the *BSDs. It does require that all Gentoo systems have a
14 certain set of GNU utilities, but I'm quite willing to live with that
15 requirement.
16
17 All that said, if I'm completely missing the point please feel free to
18 tell me.
19
20 -g2boojum-
21 --
22 Grant Goodyear
23 Gentoo Developer
24 g2boojum@g.o
25 http://www.gentoo.org/~g2boojum
26 GPG Fingerprint: D706 9802 1663 DEF5 81B0 9573 A6DC 7152 E0F6 5B76