From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: Richard Freeman <rich0@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: The future of sys-apps/openrc in Gentoo
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2010 18:30:42
On Thursday, August 26, 2010 13:02:15 Richard Freeman wrote:
> If there is no debate about whether OpenRC should be adopting it, then > why is it even being discussed in this way? Let's just do it...
there is no debate. people saw Roy moving on and got scared. as i said originally, it makes no difference to us. we're moving to openrc and it will continue to be our default init system for the foreseeable future and the support channel is unchanged: go to as for people who want to move to the latest shiny init, as i also said before, nothing is stopping them from getting it working today. we've had alternative init systems in the past that drop-in replace baselayout/openrc and there will continue to be ones in the future. however, until someone actually does the work to get one of the alternatives in the tree and actually working with other packages, there is no debate to be had as to the default init package. i'd also highlight that openrc focuses on one thing: it exists to boot the system and manage daemons via init scripts. it does not do all of the extended things that systemd is taking over (inetd, crond, udevd, etc...). -mike

Subject Author
[gentoo-dev] Re: The future of sys-apps/openrc in Gentoo Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>