From: "Jani-Matti Hätinen" <jannu.hatinen@×××××.fi>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Antwort: Re: [gentoo-dev] YaST will be GPL [Virus checked]
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 14:41:09
1 Stuart Herbert kirjoitti (sunnuntai, 21. maaliskuuta 2004 21:21):
2 > On Saturday 20 March 2004 12:06, John Nilsson wrote:
3 > > I never ment that Gentoo developers would do some non standard things to
4 > > the packages. If the standard is not good enough to convince upstream
5 > > developers to change, it is not good enough, period.
6 >
7 > It'll never happen. XML isn't something that everyone accepts is always a
8 > good thing. In many languages, handling XML content programmatically is a
9 > RightRoyalPain(tm). And we currently lack adequate XML-aware diff and grep
10 > tools - two things essential to making this work.
11
12 This is true. One option, which would make the solution considerably iffier,
13 but ease the transition from the current model quite a bit, would be to use a
14 configuration file generator for each package. I.e. the configuration tool
15 would read the possible options and documentation from the schema and then
16 call for the config file generator to write the file according to the users
17 choices. Thus the configuration file itself (and the main package) wouldn't
18 have to change at all.
19 Now obviously the file generator would have to be maintained upstream,
20 otherwise it'd be linuxconf all over again, except worse. However, this way
21 the upstream packages themselves wouldn't need any major overhauls, but just
22 a compliance layer (consisiting of the schema and the converter) between it's
23 native configuration and the common protocol.
24 This apporach could also solve the issues of handling XML in various
25 languages. And yes, I know it's a maintenance hell.
26
27 > So how would the config tool know how to generate the XML file? A schema
28 > is nowhere near enough.
29
30 If both the schema and the configuration file would adhere to a common
31 standard (which, AFAICT is what we're talking about), it shouldn't be a
32 problem.
33
34 > How many packages are there in the Gentoo tree? Over six thousand. Let's
35 > say you could convert each one in an average of one man day's effort. I
36 > think that's optimistic, but it keeps it simple. Now, a man year is around
37 > 200 days of effort, allowing for weekends, holidays, illness, and
38 > overheads. So that's 30 man years of effort to convert what we have today.
39
40 Except that the vast majority of those packages either don't even have
41 configuration files, or are niche packages, which on a large scale don't
42 really matter.
43 IMHO having support from just c. 50-100 major packages would be enough to
44 make the protocol a true standard and with 200-300 packages it would already
45 change the way all Linux systems are maintained and configured. Whether
46 packages like dailystrips or xmms would follow is largely moot.
47
48 > If you had RedHat's money, maybe it could be done. But Gentoo people are
49 > volunteers. On average, volunteers on activities outside normal work and
50 > family commitments manage a man month's worth of effort over 12 months of
51 > elapsed time. So you're really looking at 360 years to get it done by
52 > volunteers.
53
54 Frankly I don't think that selling this idea to Novell, IBM or RedHat would
55 be impossible. The amount of value that a common configuration standard
56 would give to Linux is huge. It would make it considerably easier to create
57 configuration tools and thus could drop the TCO of Linux systems quite a
58 bit. And TCO is what Linux in the corporate world is really all about.
61 Jani-Matti Hätinen
62 "Oh I'm not drunk. I'm mentally ill"