From: Mark Gordon <spamtrap@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: I am not a touch typest. Wish I were.
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2002 03:02:12
1 On Sun, 21 Jul 2002 00:15:27 +0200
2 Marko Mikulicic <marko@××××.org> wrote:
3
4 > Bart Verwilst wrote:
5 > > We're working on a graphical installer...
6 > > I'm planning to make it easier to install than Windows :)
7 > > Ofcourse this will be optional, and the current install will always be
8 > > available, and that's a garantee! :o)
9 > >
10 > > PS: This is a calling to everybody interessed, if you have ideas, drawings
11 > > from the layout, you're a talented graphics dude, or something, don't
12 > > hesitate to email me directly, we can use some help on this one :)
13 >
14 > What I like from the current handcrafted installation is that
15 > you see what is going on and you see that the installation is not a
16 > magical expert only thing, but just the matter of copying the files
17 > on a mounted filesystem. I like to install gentoo on machines running
18 > another distro or another gentoo disk because I can still use the
19 > machine and I have a more confortable environment where partitioning the
20 > disk etc.
21 > I think that there are some tasks which could be useful even for
22 > "experts":
23
24 Have all the commands and their output sent to a file so you can do a
25 tail -f on it from another console or examine it in more detail if
26 anything goes wrong.
27
28 > 1) aided partitioning. I thought of having a file describing the
29 > partition structure (proplist, xml, whatever is easy to write and
30 > process with a (python?) script) fstypes and mount points.
31 > Then a script would take this file and make the partitions, create
32 > the filesystems, and output a fstab, to be copied in the newly created etc.
33 > I like to think of it as a text file, but it would be nice if
34 > the optional graphical installation could share the same format for
35 > storing user configuration, before doing the job, so that users
36 > can decide which parts of the graphical installation are useful (or just
37 > doing all auto if he wishes).
38 > I wanting to help writing this one, if you need help.
39
40 If you are doing this make it a format easy to write by hand. Possible
41 the same as the fstab format with the required partition size added to
42 the end of the line with 0 meaning the rest of the disk.
43
44 > 2) device probing. I think it should be good if the graphical install
45 > (better than windows :-) would well divided from the logic that does
46 > device autodetection, so that users which doesn't want gfx install can
47 > also benefit from its detections. For example, once I needed to
48 > configure a asus ISDN card but I didn't know that asus was only the name
49 > on the box, and the cards was totaly incompatible with asus driver.
50 > Mandrake probed the device and configured correctly (or at least told
51 > me the chipset) (btw. lspci -> unknown).
52
53 <snip>
54
55 Use the hotplug scripts to find the kernel modules required? After all,
56 why have yet another list of how to identify each card.
59 Mark Gordon