From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] bash-completion-2.1-r1
Date: Mon, 09 Sep 2013 09:24:03
1 Hello, all.
2
3 I'd like to ask finally: who feels himself responsible for deploying
4 bashcomp-2.1-r1? Does he have any kind of plan? Does anyone care at
5 all?
6
7 Do I have to say it's pretty far from professional to commit it
8 half-working, with no clear information how to proceed, neither for
9 users nor for developers? As far as I can see, there were mostly either
10 random patches or random bugs, with no clear generic guidelines.
11
12 I have enough projects on my back but I guess I'll end up carrying this
13 mess if nobody bothers to do so.
16 For future reference, I so far know the following:
17
18 1. bash supports two directories for completions: completionsdir
19 (/usr/.../completions) and compatdir (/etc). gentoo added a third
20 directory that i will call gentoodir (/usr/.../bash-completion).
21
22 2. bash sources all files in compatdir (at start?).
23
24 3. eselect used to symlink stuff from $gentoodir to $compatdir to
25 enable completions. therefore, all enabled stuff polluted
26 the environment all the time.
27
28 4. files in completionsdir are sourced when command matching filename
29 is typed in. that is 'foo <tab>' -> "$completionsdir/foo" is sourced.
30
31 5. in order for completionsdir to work,
32 /usr/share/bash-completion/bash_completion must be sourced first.
33 (is this just me? is this something to be done in global bashrc?)
36 Aside to the above, what needs to be answered:
37
38 1. how to properly disable completions the 'new way'?
39
40 2. do we want to support adding stuff to $compatdir? what do we do with
41 completions that don't fit $completionsdir?
42
43 3. how do we handle completion 'dependencies'? the 'old way' just
44 relied on them being sourced from $compatdir early. do we source them
45 explicitly now? do we put them in $compatdir unconditionally?
46
47 4. do we want to maintain eselect for bash completions? do we want it
48 to handle disabling and 'enabling' completions the 'new way'?
51 Best regards,
52 Michał Górny