From: Tiziano Mueller <dev-zero@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Wrong dependencies to postgresql
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2006 23:32:33
1 Hi Enrico
2
3 Enrico Weigelt wrote:
4 > Hi folks,
5
6 > since jakub (as always) closes all my bugs, I'll report the issue
7 > to this list before completely giving up and never ever waste a
8 > single second on reporting bugs ...
9 ... and we're grateful to you for that.
10
11 > Lots of packages have an wrong/unnecessary dependency to
12 > postgresql. Three cases:
13 Two. ( a) + b) '=' two cases )
14
15 > a) probably traditionally depended on the whole postgresql, maybe
16 > since before libpq was an own package. ie. qt, dovecot, ...
17 No. At least that's not the only reason.
18 Since you reported a duplicated bug-report (bug #158978) for the issue I'm talking about, I thought you would have noted.
19 But let's make it clear:
20 There is this pg_config app which can be used by other apps to get includedir/libdir/cflags/ldflags/etc for the postgresql-libraries. This app has been installed by dev-db/postgresql until the latest
21 minor version bumps (7.3.16, 7.4.14, 8.0.9-r1, 8.1.5-r1) for which we have an open stabilization bug (bug #152783). Until this bug is closed, stable packages which try to depend only on libpq instead
22 of postgresql will eventually get an older version (depending on the arch) and fail. Therefore those bugs are invalid.
23
24 > b) many apps (ie. webapps like bugzilla) have postgresql as dep.,
25 > although they do not need it to be installed. (ie. bugzilla does
26 > not have to do anything directly w/ postgresql, since it uses
27 > perl-DBD for database access). Of course they maybe want to
28 > have access to some postgres database, but this obviously does
29 > not need an local server.
30 Thanks a lot for pointing this out. But be assured that we already know about the issue and we will solve it as soon as the mentioned versions of postgresql are stable on all archs together with the
31 other dependencies.
32 And we really don't need help to identify the packages in question, nor a bug-report for every single one of them, but thanks again.
33
34 Thanks for reporting the issues and the interest in our work.
37 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list