From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: Mart Raudsepp <leio@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] New USE_EXPAND: LLVM_TARGETS
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2016 06:30:14
1 On Mon, 26 Sep 2016 08:18:27 +0200
2 Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Mon, 26 Sep 2016 00:42:11 +0300
5 > Mart Raudsepp <leio@g.o> wrote:
6 >
7 > > Ühel kenal päeval, P, 25.09.2016 kell 23:08, kirjutas Michał Górny:
8 > > > I'd like to introduce a new USE_EXPAND for LLVM & clang. It'd be
9 > > > named
10 > > > LLVM_TARGETS, and it's going to replace the current solution based on
11 > > > USE=multitarget & VIDEO_CARDS=radeon.
12 > > >
13 > > > - VIDEO_CARDS=radeon enabled additional R600 target,
14 > >
15 > > No. It enables AMDGPU target these days, which is for the modern stuff
16 > > and very much needed by them.
17 > > r600 stuff was in the llvm 3.3-3.6 era, which was used by old
18 > > experimental mesa[r600-llvm-compiler] as an alternative shader compiler
19 > > for r600 instead of builtin mesa stuff. This work has been ditched long
20 > > ago afaik.
21 > > Instead now VIDEO_CARDS=radeon is required on llvm for radeonsi and
22 > > later AMD GPUs for _ANY_ shader compiler support at all, plus other
23 > > things (from it adding AMDGPU to llvm targets in current ebuild).
24 >
25 > Yes, yes, I am old :-P. You are right, it's AMDGPU these days.
26 >
27 > > > The new system will be applied to 3.9.0 and 9999 ebuilds. VIDEO_CARDS
28 > > > flag will be removed completely because of no revdeps.
29 > >
30 > > People with radeonsi graphics set VIDEO_CARDS=radeon already, I'm a bit
31 > > reserved about having to force them to set some LLVM_TARGETS=radeon or
32 > > LLVM_TARGETS=amdgpu on top of that to satisfy some USE depends on
33 > > mesa[video_cards_radeon].
34 >
35 > How about nvidia users who seem to require NVPTX for libclc these days?
36 > Do they set VIDEO_CARDS='nvidia nv nouveau ...'? The problem is that
37 > this abuse of VIDEO_CARDS is never going to be 100% clear to users.
38 >
39 > I guess we can enable GPU targets in desktop profiles by default to
40 > save most of our users from the issues.
41
42 Hmm, I actually see we're enabling them in arch profiles. So I guess
43 matching enable there would fit there as well.
46 Best regards,
47 Michał Górny
48 <http://dev.gentoo.org/~mgorny/>