From: Grobian <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: GLEP 42 "Critical News Reporting" Round Two
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2005 17:27:13
1 Jason Stubbs wrote:
2 > To be honest, this is the part that I don't like the most. Integrating code
3 > into portage to copy files here and there based on some predefined rules and
4 > news readers reading and renaming files based on some predefined rules...
5 > A filesystem based API just doesn't seem very robust to change.
6 >
7 > I'd prefer that either the post-sync handling code is not integrated into
8 > portage and portage just triggers some external script - or - portage exposes
9 > an API (via python and bash) for accessing and updating news items. I'd
10 > prefer the latter but I get the impression that most prefer the former.
11
12 - append message to /var/spool/mail/portage
13
14 alternative 1 (very very sober install):
15 - less /var/spool/mail/portage
16 - rm /var/spool/mail/portage
17
18 alternative 2 (sober install):
19 - vi /var/spool/mail/portage
20
21 alternative 3 (for those having `mail`, `mutt` or whatever that reads mbox)
22 - mail -u portage (program allows deletion)
23
24 alternative 4 (those that don't like mbox reading)
25 - either run mbox2mail or
26 - allow portage to write to a pipe to `mail` instead of append to
27 /var/spool/mail/portage (would be the best solution IMHO)
30 It doesn't have to be so complicated, IMHO. Most of the tools are
31 already there, because traditional unix systems had this notification
32 system built in. Imagine how nice you could benefit from a shell that
33 tells you you've got (new) mail if you log in as root. Appending in the
34 right format to /var/spool/mail/portage doesn't need an MTA either.
38 Fabian Groffen
39 Gentoo for Mac OS X Project -- Interim Lead
40 --
41 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list