From: "Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò" <flameeyes@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] autotools support eclass
Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2005 12:03:42
1 I was wondering last night with az about the handling of autotools.
2 They not always require to be re-run by scratch, but when you have to run
3 aclocal you usually have to run everything after that.
4 Every ebuild handles them in a different way, some ebuilds run them in a &&
5 list and then || die, others runs them one-by-one.
6 Some force updating of support files and some don't.
7 Some adds code to let them print the status to the screen, some hides the
8 actual output and some don't.
9
10 Attached there's an "autotools" eclass, it's basically a way to give more
11 information to the user while providing an epatch-like die message.
12 the eauto* calls are directly calls to the original command, without black
13 magic, with the only exception of automake that is called with -afc options
14 to let it update the support files.
15
16 eautoreconf instead is way different from autoreconf as it simply calls the
17 tools one after the other, adding the -I options to eaclocal when requested.
18 The sequence is aclocal, autoconf, autoheader, automake, gnuconfig_update and
19 libtoolize --copy --force (this seems to be needed quite everytime you run
20 aclocal.
21
22 Comments?
25 Diego "Flameeyes" Pettenò
26 Gentoo Developer - http://dev.gentoo.org/~flameeyes/
27 (Gentoo/FreeBSD, Video, Gentoo/AMD64, Sound, PAM)

autotools.eclass text/plain