From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Value of Continuous integration vs Code Review / Pull Requests
Date: Sat, 30 May 2020 06:17:36
1 On Fri, 2020-05-29 at 16:34 -0700, Alec Warner wrote:
2 > The pull-based mirroring is a bit sad, as it would be nice to auto-update
3 > some forks, but it's not a killer feature.
4
5 Exactly. Especially that our push-based mirroring is better,
6 and I think that's how we want to populate it.
7
8 > I think our new SSO solution
9 > could potentially be a fix for the auth subsystems, but more work there
10 > will be needed.
11
12 I think SSO should be the primary login to our GitLab, especially for
13 our users. GitHub login is a must.
14
15 > Another major issue is operating the software. I haven't found anyone to
16 > *run* gitlab; I'm not eager to do it. Today Gentoo is mostly distributed,
17 > bugs are in bugzilla, wiki is on mediawiki, code is on gitolite with N
18 > mirrors, email and lists are separate, etc. In a world where bugs, wiki,
19 > code, ci, containers, PRs, are all on gitlab and it breaks and we can't fix
20 > it; it will be bad news for all of those things. If the bugzilla machine
21 > breaks we lose bugzilla; if gitlab breaks we lose the ability to edit the
22 > wiki, file bugs, commit, run CI, etc.
25 But who says we want to migrate them all into GitLab? I thought our
26 primary goal was to replace today's GitHub use, i.e. provide
27 an alternative pipeline for pull/merge requests.
30 Best regards,
31 Michał Górny