From: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: split up media-sound/ category
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2011 22:45:37
1 On 06/27/2011 07:23 AM, Jesús J. Guerrero Botella wrote:
2 > I still don't understand why
3 >
4 > A) you need to build a project, a glep, whatever the course of action
5 > is, I am bad at bureaucracy.
6 > B) you need to code the solution, to fix What?
7
8 Some people requested a "tags" feature. I'm not sure if "fix" is the
9 best word. Tags will provide a new way to search for packages, that's all.
10
11 > C) "ls $PORTDIR/whatever-category" is a command that's way simpler
12 > than the one you posted.
13
14 There are lots of possible approaches. See Ciaran's "Are tags just
15 sets?" approach that is very similar to your suggested symlink approach,
16 except that it represents a tag using a text file containing a list of
17 packages instead of a directory containing symlinks.
18
19 > XML seems to be the trend, but we should really think a moment, what's
20 > what we are trying to fix?
21
22 Again, maybe "fix" isn't the best word. I believe that the goal it to
23 provide a new method of searching that is based on tags.
24
25 > We just needed to add some categories or rename them when someone
26 > started this thread, but now, even when we know we are lacking dev
27 > power in some areas we start arguing that the base concept of our OS
28 > (portage) is wrong, and that we should redo it completely by putting
29 > every ebuild into a directory and tagging them.
30
31 I would advise against going down the "redo it completely" path, since
32 it's relatively easy to implement a tagging mechanism that will coexist
33 with the existing category framework.
34
35 > Again, that's not "port-age". Read on ports:
36 >
37 > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FreeBSD_Ports
38
39 Interestingly, the wiki page that you linked has a link to a project to
40 add tags to the ports collection:
41
42 http://www.tobez.org/port-tags/
43
44 > I don't even use tags for my music collections and now I am going to
45 > be forced to use them to operate my OS.
46
47 Again, I would advise against going down the "redo it completely" path
48 that this statement implies, given that it's relatively easy to
49 implement a tagging mechanism that will coexist with the existing
50 category framework.
51 --
52 Thanks,
53 Zac