From: Debian User Jean-Baptiste Note <noteje@××××××××××××××××××.fr>
To: Chouser <chouser@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] gentoo ppc
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2002 09:49:10
1 Hello
2
3 I'm glad to announce that emerge system works for (almost)all packageson ppc.
4 >From these I have to substract the x86-specific packages. and iproute2,
5 that gives me some problems maybe because of -Werror only.
6 I have kept good record of the steps i took.
7
8 Just to introduce myself, i'm 22 years old, a student in a French engeneering
9 school. Although I have been using a computer for some time now, and debian linux
10 for a little more than one year, i must say i'm no linux expert.
11 I have very little experience in development for instance, but i'm willing
12 and hopefully able to learn fast :)
13
14 >From this comes two points :
15 1/ gentoo is extremely flexible. Port isnt hard, or i wouldn't have succeeded
16 in advancing so much. I never delved into portage, and barely edited some .ebuilds files.
17 I have gathered enough information so that i can write a gentoo-porting howto
18 from a working debian install, that can work as a base for an alpha port,
19 for instance, that should not be hard either.
20 Thank you for the great job of Gentoo in the first place !
21
22 2/ I am willing to do some modifications to portage to allow more cross-platform
23 flexibility. But, it obviously needs to be concerted.
24 So i'm gonna tell you boringly of the problems i encountered and some solutions
25 that i though of.
26
27 Problems are
28 a) platform-specific patches (gcc, patch itself)
29 b) platform-specific options (for instance, a `use altivec` one for
30 powerpc processors)
31 b) platform-specific packages (bootloaders for instance)
32
33 b)
34 I think portage needs a little tweaking i'm willing to do.
35 this would go thus (let's take the function src_uncompress as an exemple)
36 * look in the .ebuild for a platform-specific function to be executed
37 if it exists.
38 * if src_uncompress_ppc exists on my ppc machine,
39 then execute it regardless of the existence of src_uncompress
40 * if no such platform-specific function is found, then
41 fallback on scr_uncompress.
42
43 This would allow a smooth transition :
44 --existing .ebuild files still work, and a default behaviour
45 is given to the platform-specific packagers
46 --you can still "factorize" platform-independent instructions
47 in the scr_uncompress function, and call it in the platform-specific
48 function
49 --ppc/alpha developers can safely work on their specific part
50 without endangering the x86 part
51
52 It would be nice, too, if some ${ARCH} variable computed by portage
53 was available to the .ebuild writer.
54
55 a)
56 The problem is that you don't necessarily want the x86 user to download
57 a ppc-spceific patch.
58 then you could define a SCR_URI_X86 SRC_URI_PPC additional to the already
59 existant SRC_URI if the ${ARCH} is matched. Better hide it in portage
60 than in a ugly if statement in the .ebuild file, i think (once again,
61 code factorization)
62
63 c)
64 I should think that platform-dependent utilities are not so much needed.
65 well, apart from x86 assembly compiler and bootloaders, that is :)
66 the answer, generally speaking, is virtual packages, if all platform can
67 provide their version of one tool. (ybin as bootloader for instance)
68 this is certainly the most difficult part, and i haven't given it much
69 though.
70
71 One more personal remark, not to bother you with my life, but :
72 i'm still a student, and do not have a hell of time :(
73 that'll be worse even after i suppose anyways.
74 Things i want to do
75 *solve the platform-specific-packages design problem
76 *write a gentoo-bootstrap-from-debian howto to help support other architectures (alpha ?)
77 *package ybin ? not really necessary, since most will dual-boot or
78 work chrooted
79 *hack portage. i'm learing python (not so tough :) and will look into
80 portage. but to implement, things need to be settled.
81
82 I'm done. I didn't know how to introduce myself, if i may sound awkward or
83 anything, please do not heed.
84 (My mastering of the English language is not good, either).
85
86 Thank you for your time, Jean-Baptiste Note.
89 I'm an occurence of the I love GNU virus.
90 Please help me spread.