From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: [RFC] Reducing the size of the system package set
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 14:50:32
1 Josh Saddler <nightmorph@g.o> posted 478546B6.2080009@g.o,
2 excerpted below, on Wed, 09 Jan 2008 14:12:06 -0800:
3
4 > We all know that ssh is good for sysadmins and netadmins and Gentoo
5 > developers, etc. However, desktop users -- i.e., those not in those
6 > categories, which is most everyone else, likely do not find it as
7 > useful. [reluctant snip] If you *need* it to do work (admins, I'm
8 > looking at you), then you can *emerge* it. Just like vim, cvs,
9 > dev_tool_foo etc.
10 >
11 > I *am* a desktop user. And . . . aside from Gentoo development, I have
12 > no need for ssh. It could easily be removed from the system profile --
13 > the only place it might be kept is in the liveCD environment, for remote
14 > installations. Other than that, we don't need to ship it in our stages;
15 > just on the media.
16
17 As another desktop user (who FWIW has his virtual/ssh entry pointed at
18 sys-apps/baselayout, one more reason he's glad Gentoo's flexible like
19 that =8^) ...
20
21 ++
26 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
29 gentoo-dev@l.g.o mailing list