From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Request to add USE_EXPAND variable for freecad-0.18*+
Date: Mon, 03 Jun 2019 15:36:27
1 On Mon, 2019-06-03 at 17:24 +0200, Bernd Waibel wrote:
2 > Hello Gentoo devs,
3 >
4 > I have been maintaining the Qt5 updated media-gfx/freecad-0.18* for some
5 > time in my overlay[1]. As far as I can see, all dependencies have either
6 > been released in the main portage tree, or have blocking bugs open[2][3][4].
7 >
8 > To develop the re-adding of the package further, I'd like to discuss the
9 > possibility of adding a USE_EXPAND variable called FREECAD_MODULES as noted
10 > in profiles/base/make.defaults.
13 > Rationale
14 > =======
15 > FreeCAD has a modular design of different so-called workspaces. This
16 > enables the program to be built for the particular purposes of i.e.
17 > architectural CAD, engineering CAD, FEM, ship design and even raytracing or
18 > robot simulation. Those workspaces can, to some extent, be built
19 > independently of each other. They are dependant on some basic modules which
20 > serve as the core engine of the program.
21 >
22 > To give the user the possibility to build FreeCAD depending on it's needs,
23 > the FREECAD_MODULES should be used.
24 >
25 > Currently the variable has ~40 modules defined. For a complete list, I'd
26 > like to refer to the ebuild in my overlay. I'm open for discussion on the
27 > list of modules, it might be possible, that some of them are better placed
28 > in USE flags.
29 >
30 > I hope, this variable get's an approval from the devs. I personally found
31 > the alternative, to use a whole lot of USE flags less elegant than this
32 > solution.
35 If this is used by a single package only, it doesn't belong in
36 USE_EXPAND. Just define local flags.
39 Best regards,
40 Michał Górny