From: foser <foser@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: eutils addition - preserve_old_lib
Date: Sun, 03 Oct 2004 16:31:49
1 On Sat, 2004-10-02 at 15:26 -0700, Jeremy Huddleston wrote:
2 > When the soname of a lib changes between versions of a package, we need
3 > to do a revdep-rebuild --soname <old lib> to make sure all programs that
4 > link against the old lib are rebuilt to use the new one. In order to
5 > not break currently installed programs, it is best for a package to keep
6 > the old version around until this process is done and the user deletes
7 > the file. Currently it is up to the individual package maintainers to
8 > do this in their own way. I've had to do it enough times that I decided
9 > it might be best to just write something into eutils.eclass to handle
10 > it... so...
11
12 In my experience most packages that change their .so versioning do so
13 unneeded, best is to just fix the upstream versioning & ask the
14 maintainers to do it 'correctly'. Only in a few select cases it is
15 really needed to do revdep-rebuild.
16
17 - foser