From: Patrick McLean <chutzpah@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: openrc mount service prototype
Date: Sun, 02 Aug 2015 05:58:45
1 On Sat, 1 Aug 2015 10:05:44 -0500
2 William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Fri, Jul 31, 2015 at 05:29:37PM -0700, Patrick McLean wrote:
5 > > On Fri, 31 Jul 2015 17:28:03 -0500
6 > > William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
7 > >
8 > > > On Fri, Jul 31, 2015 at 11:57:59PM +0200, Peter Stuge wrote:
9 > > >
10 > > > What I'm asking about is whether anyone knows of a smoothe way to
11 > > > transition users from local/netmount to mount.<filesystem>
12 > > > dependencies, without breaking systems. If that doesn't exist, 1.0
13 > > > will have to sit in p.mask until major packages catch up.
14 > >
15 > > You could make "localmount" and "netmount" scripts that
16 > > read /etc/fstab and generate "need" dependencies on the network or
17 > > local filesystems that exist in there. That should emulate current
18 > > behaviour with the new system.
19 >
20 > This is exactly what I'm thinking about. Researching this as I go, there
21 > are reasons to keep localmount and netmount around, but I want to
22 > rewrite them to depend on mount.*.
23 >
24 > There will still be a change in behaviour, because localmount and netmount
25 > never fail in the current setup, but they potentially will in the new setup
26 > based on whether or not one of the file systems they depend on fails to mount.
27 >
28 > I'm a bit concerned about trying to auto generate dependencies in them,
29 > for the same reason I'm concerned about auto generating dependencies in
30 > netmount as it currently stands.
31 >
32 > All of this processing would be in the depend() function, and would be
33 > run every time the OpenRC dependency cache is regenerated. The best way
34 > to process fstab is with the fstabinfo helper, but every time you run
35 > it, that is a possible full scan of fstab, and I worry that that would
36 > slow down dependency cache regeneration for servers with many file
37 > systems. If I don't use fstabinfo, I"m basically re-inventing the wheel
38 > and writing code in sh to parse fstab.
39
40 You could use fstabinfo or findmnt for processing it, but it does not
41 need to do all the processing, you could cache the results and only
42 regenerate when the mtime on the fstab is newer than the cache.
43
44 On the other hand, unless your fstab is extremely large, it's unlikely
45 this processing will take particularly long, fstab files tend to be
46 pretty short (less than 100 entries), and that is not exactly a large
47 dataset.
50 > Thoughts?
51 >
52 > William