From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Cc: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: /etc/hostname on gentoo
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2016 15:55:08
1 On Sun, Aug 28, 2016 at 11:29 AM, Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > (and what abuse? it did exactly what it was supposed to do quite nicely,
4 > until it stopped doing that. Now you need to track state and hope you
5 > don't have race conditions ... )
8 You were tracking state before; in mtab. It just isn't a terribly
9 great way to track state, especially when you start getting into
10 complex situations. What happens when a service depends on a fuse
11 filesystem, which depends on a service? And of course all the
12 situations where it is wrong, like when it is mounted read-only.
13
14 In the past we had kludges like iteration - try to unmount stuff, kill
15 stuff, and then try harder until it all dies, and then mount read-only
16 whatever got missed. In theory today you can actually get messy
17 situations to cleanly shut down as long as you specify your
18 dependencies correctly (which you also need to start it all up).
19
20 I get that you can run a lot of systems without all the
21 complexity/rigor, but then you're pitting your ability to write
22 bug-free simple scripts against Redhat's ability to do QA on complex
23 scripts. Sure, we aren't beholden to them, but half the point of FOSS
24 is to borrow stuff that works.
27 Rich