From: Steve Long <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: Little respect towards Daniel please
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2007 07:13:53
1 expose@×××××××××××.net wrote:
2
3 > Dear list,
4 >
5 > Why not simply naming the "formal logic rules" for the "official venue
6 > where developers (and ex-developers and users) can talk out their
7 > disagreements" to be:
8 > 1. Anyone who is impolite get's kicked off.
9 > 2. Anyone who repeatedly and seemingly on purpose tries to harm the
10 > discussion will be kicked off.
11 >
12 > Impolite: Do, under _no_ circumstances, use a word MTV would have to mute,
13 > or that your grandmother (hopefully) wouldnt want to hear you say ;-)
14 >
15 > Repeatedly: We are humans, we make faults.
16 >
17 > Seemingly: If this wouldnt be part of the rule, there would be endless
18 > debates on wether it was on purpose or not.
19 >
20 I like the idea; i think it'd be a start just to focus on the first. It's
21 easier to define, or at least to know when someone's overstepped the mark.
22
23 > Bryan Østergaard <kloeri@g.o> wrote:
24 >> Somehow a lot of people seems to think banning is the only possible
25 >> solution. I tend to think that's a horrible idea myself and most of
26 >> devrel backs me up on that.
27 > Of course it is a horrible idea, but isnt it better than seeing someone
28 > constantly insulting people, instead of being productive, functional,
29 > objective or at least polite?
30 > At the moment I feel like there is no real reason _not_ to insult anyone,
31 > for those who like to do so, which has to be changed or values will be
32 > lost completely. It can even be fun to get rid of aggressions collected
33 > throughout the week at once, yet the gym is the correct place to do so,
34 > not this list.
35 >
36 ++ to that; the message that gets out is that gentoo thinks abusive
37 behaviour is acceptable. You have to have limits, and people need to be
38 told that others think they're crossing the line, or it'll degenerate. If
39 you don't ban at some point, whatever that is, then there's no sanction.
43 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list