From: Luca Barbato <lu_zero@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Chromium system ffmpeg
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2013 13:20:21
1 On 15/01/13 05:34, "Paweł Hajdan, Jr." wrote:
2 > I'm trying to make Chromium be more compatible with more versions of
3 > ffmpeg:
4 > <https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/topic/chromium-dev/fm5Oe_AC3Sc/discussion>
5 > (although not stated there, that includes libav).
6 >
7 > Now the initial response there is not enthusiastic (which doesn't
8 > surprise me), but do you think there are some points useful for the
9 > discussion I'm not aware of?
10 >
11 > What are the main challenges of keeping up-to-date with latest ffmpeg
12 > API changes? How do other projects deal with that?
13
14 I guess it had been stated there, but is worth noting again that
15 chromium has a specific fork of ffmpeg and they merge and adapt/fix as
16 they need.
17
18 As Libav we try to see what they are doing and when possible either
19 import their fix or redo it in a more general way if it doesn't fit
20 normal consumption (see our review process policy for more details).
21
22 Their API usage is quite normal nowadays (after we convinced them to use
23 AVIO instead of the deprecate URLProtocol, for our and their respective
24 pleasure since it resulted in slashing a good chunk of cruft)
25
26 Feel free to nag me if something breaks with a system libav.
27
28 lu