From: Marc Soda <marc@×××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Point of fact.
Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2002 09:50:00
1 What would you suggest in place of GRUB?
2
3 On 2002.03.07 20:42 Tom Newsom wrote:
4 > Hi,
5 >
6 > Whoever gets this, if your in #gentoo then you`ll know me by the nick
7 > Jeepster.
8 >
9 > You`ll also possibly know I refuse point blank to use the nvidia stuff
10 > from portage and if you`ve taken any notice you`ll also know why.
11 >
12 > Take the following comment from your web site...
13 >
14 > *************
15 > At the moment, there's one known quirk with the install. Some
16 > applications (most notably the Quake series) do not use the standard
17 > library search path for loading libGL.so, but instead manually dlopen
18 > "/usr/lib/libGL.so". For this reason, make sure that /usr/lib/libGL.so
19 > is a symlink that points to /opt/nvidia/lib/libGL.so. We'll be
20 > addressing this quirk soon.
21 > *************
22 >
23 > It isnt a quirk, the paths that quake,UT etc look in for GL libs is a
24 > standard place, when nvidia decided a while ago to create linux
25 > drivers
26 > they decided on a standard place for thier libs to be, that being
27 > /usr/lib and also they *had* to alter some XFree libs and links.
28 >
29 > Once you accept you`re nvidia portage files sent the libs to the wrong
30 > place then you will fix your "quirk"
31 >
32 > I can if you wish get a guy who started the nvidia drivers to come
33 > into
34 > #gentoo and tell you why you`re /opt/ place is wrong.
35 >
36 > Other than this and GRUB being default boot loader, gentoo is
37 > excellent
38 > in all areas. Keep up the excellent work.
39 >
40 > Thank you.
44 > gentoo-dev mailing list
45 > gentoo-dev@g.o