From: Francesco Riosa <vivo@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] multislot mysql
Date: Fri, 03 Feb 2006 10:22:10
1 Ok, I've been realized that having a slotted mysql is not the dream of
2 every end user ... or developer.
3
4 Anyway I prefere too keep the possibility to do a similar install.
5
6 A good solution should be to add the "multislot" USE flag to the ebuild
7 and let it to decide whenever make it slotted or not, sorry, this is not
8 viable, yes it's already used by other important packages but not well
9 supported by portage and should be used only in particular situations.
10
11 The only thing that came in mind to me is to provide two series of
12 ebuilds, with different revision ranges.
13 The use flag "multislot" will still have a role, to make the ebuild fail
14 during pkg_setup() if set on the wrong ebuild.
15 It's possible to define the default ebuild to merge, assigning a greater
16 revision number will make an ebuild the default installed, I suggest the
17 un-slotted version to be the default.
18
19 example:
20
21 mysql-4.1.16-r[0..49] Need "+multislot"
22 mysql-4.1.16-r[50..99] Need "-multislot"
23 mysql-5.1.18-r[0..49] Need "+multislot"
24 mysql-5.1.18-r[50..99] Need "-multislot"
25
26 whoever want to have a slot version will need to mask revisions between
27 50 and 99 .
28
29 The change will happen soon, between today and tomorrow, so toughts,
30 flames and insults are well accepted.
31
32 - Francesco R.
33 --
34 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list